Situated on London Road, extremely close to the Railway Station, and within easy walking distance for the city centre via the historic New Walk, Victoria Park has 69 acres of fine parkland and has a variety of attractions for all visitors.
The land which is now Victoria Park was originally part of the South Field of Leicester, which was enclosed in the early 19th century. Formally Leicester Racecourse between 1809 and 1873 the park was opened in 1882. Between 1806 and 1883 it was used as the towns Racecourse. In 1883 the races were transferred to the new Leicester Racecourse at Oadby.
The park is open and peaceful with thoughtfully
laid out pathways through avenues of trees. A network of cycle paths make
it ideal for cyclists. There is a nature area and pond.
Victoria Park has First and Second World War memorials, a fine Memorial Arch and entrance gates. There are two play areas, a toddler area next to the cafe and a junior play area near to the ecology area and there are large grassed areas suitable for all manner of leisure/recreational uses. It is also officially designated as a park or garden of special historic interest (grade II).
Victoria Park now provides sports facilities including:
New Skate Facility
A purpose built skate facility was installed on the park in May 2001. It was designed in consultation with local and professional skaters and can also accommodate BMX and in-line skates. Located near to the basketball and tennis courts the new facility provides a challenging and safe area for skaters to practice and everyone to enjoy. Younger children are catered for by two well equipped play areas, which are sited well away from busy roads.
The Pavilion, built in 1948, to replace
the original which was damaged during the Leicester Blitz, has
changing facilities for sports as well as providing a Café service
There are two war memorials on the park, the most notable of which is the Memorial Arch that commemorates the First World War and was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Peace Walk provides a formally laid out approach to the Memorial and features vibrant flower displays. The second memorial commemorates the American 82nd Airborne Division who were based in Leicester prior to the D Day landings in 1944.
WAR MEMORIAL, VICTORIA PARK,LEICESTER
Built by Sir Edward Lutyens and unveiled in 1925
Victoria Park, which was once the home of popular nineteenth century fairs, continues to provide a focus for community and cultural festivities; including Leicesters popular Caribbean Carnival.
Parking & Access Information
Car parking is available with spaces for Blue Badge holders.
There are tarmac pathways.
Public toilets are available and an accessible toilet with Radar key lock.
For More Information :
contact Parks Development Services South at Evington Park
Tel: 0116 273 7726
Fax: 0116 273 2515
Telephone 0116 2737726